How common are STDs?
- 70 million Americans currently have an STD
- Every year 9 million people under 25 years old get a new STD
- One-half of sexually active young people contract an STD by the time they are 25 years old
- Of Americans 14 and older, 1 in 6 has herpes.
Are there long-term effects of having STDs?
- Human Papilloma virus (HPV), which causes genital warts, accounts for more than 95% of cervical cancer. Cervical cancer claims the lives of 5,000 American women yearly.
- About 1/3 of infertility in women is caused by STDs.
Will I have symptoms if I have STDs?
- 80% of people who have an STD experience no noticeable symptoms.
How effective are condoms in preventing STDs?
- reduces the risk of HIV by 85%
- reduces the risk of Chlamydia, herpes, gonorrhea, syphilis by 50%
- reduces the risk of HPV by less than 50%